Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Time to Rethink, Reinvent and Restore our abilities -

I've been looking for something to write about as it's been a day to day job of staying focused on marketing, sending out letters, emails, following up on ideas and contacts.  Anyone who is self-employed understands these tasks and knows that it takes discipline to just keep on going.

This morning I read an article in the NYTimes entitled "  When Greatness Slips Away " and it reminded me of how large the struggle is to move forward to move on to be creative and to find the path to a successful future.  All of us are in this "job" together even if we're not self-employed but when you are you are faced with the valuable gift of crafting each day in a way that makes a difference for you and for those around you.  I know I must sound like a broken record but I believe us, the more mature workers in society, have so much to offer.  We have years of experience not only in the work force but in the life force that keeps us getting up each morning and trying again to get it right.  Yes, it is a big challenge right now but that challenge is the best thing for us...it will wake up our brains to figuring out how we can create value, once again, with our hidden and trained talents.

One thing that is very important to me is to help people manage their finances.  It's my theme right now because it's a way, I've determined, I can give back and make a difference in my community.  I've offered to teach a basic class on managing your money, balancing your checkbook and staying in a good financial position at the local public library.  I was looking at their "events" page on their website and there were several classes offered but nothing on finance.  This was an opportunity to help and I am hopeful that the library director agrees to move forward.

It is important to me to help...it's what ignites the fire inside of me and with the skills I have I've determined one of the ways I can accomplish this.  You can do the same - just look out and see what you would like to do, be or accomplish and eventually you'll find your way.

No comments:

Post a Comment